Courage has probably been my biggest stretching point this year. Courage and trusting the Lord. But, honestly, the two have coincided, for the most part. I’ve been learning to take steps that I’m a little scared to. And often along those steps I know God is saying “Trust Me.” There have been plenty of personal examples of courage for me this year – from small things like saying hi to someone to larger things like going to a job interview and following through on an amazing opportunity that’s a little bit terrifying. This has definitely been a year of learning to be courageous.
“Courage,” according to dictionary.com, is “the quality of mind or spirit that enables a person to face difficulty,danger, pain, etc., without fear; bravery.” I personally find that definition to be a little off, but it is still mostly true.
- Courage isn’t foolishness, running heedlessly off into danger – I think we often confuse courage with stupidity, and they are not the same thing at all. Courage isn’t choosing to to go running off into danger just because it’s scary. "Too many people consider themselves daring when they are only delirious." ~ Anonymous
- Courage isn’t ignorance, choosing not to gather facts and observe – Courage is choosing to understand a situation and go into it anyway because it’s important. “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.” ~ E.F. Schumacher
- Courage is standing up for what’s right – Sometimes the hardest things to do are the ones we know to be necessary. “Faced with what is right, to leave it undone shows a lack of courage.” ~ Confucius
- Courage is not always popular – Courage often looks like the opposite of what everyone else is doing. But even in the moments when it’s hard, stand firm, because a majority opinion is rarely right. “The opposite for courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.” ~ Jim Hightower
- Courage is biblical – “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” ~ Joshua 1:9; “Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong.” ~ 1 Corinthians 16:13
So, what about you? Where have you applied courage recently? Let me know in the comments; I’d love to hear from you!