Friday, June 20, 2014

Music

Music is what feelings sound like

Art is the language of the soul, in some ways. Art speaks on a deeper level than other forms of communication. But art can be expressed in many ways – among them are story, painting, poetry, and especially music. Many studies have been done over the years on the connections between music, emotion, and memories. Music is used in many types of therapy.

In life, logic and knowledge are the structure of the picture. They create the lines, so to speak. And then emotion provides the color. Together, they make a beautiful picture. For many people, music showcases the deepest and brightest colors. Exactly why that is, I can’t explain. All I can say is that it’s true. I believe that God delights in music and that He can speak to us through it.

With the importance of music in mind, then, I thought I’d share with you some of my favorite songs right now. I apologize for the fact that they’re not in video form, but I’ve been having trouble with that particular function lately. The links will take you to Youtube.

  • “Oxygen” – Building 429
    • This one has started to intrigue me very recently, but I’m quickly growing to love it. It speaks of needing God because He’s your oxygen, and the lyrics are incredibly powerful.
  • "Say Something" – A Great Big World, ft. Christina Aguilera
    • This song carries a great deal of emotion, and every now and then, I enjoy sad songs. I didn’t pay too much attention to it beyond the immediate emotional impact, though, until I heard the story behind it. The band talked about their realization that, before you can love someone else, you have to love yourself. You have to know yourself, be comfortable with who you are, or you can never truly love another person. And that’s the part that spoke to me the most, I think. Until I discover who God wants me to be, how can I know what He wants for any version of us?
  • "Fix My Eyes" – For King and Country
    • I love the band For King and Country, so I’m slightly biased in liking this song. But it has such a strong, “stand up” message. Extremely inspiring… And the beat will make you move.
  • "We Lift You Up" – Kutless
    • I just got Kutless’ new album, Glory, so I’m quite in love with all the songs on it right now. But this one is a rock-out worship song that packs a punch. I encourage you to check out the entire album!

So, what are ya’ll listening to? And what kind of music touches your emotions the most? Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, there! I love comments, and I'm always quick to respond. Got something to say?