Sunday, July 31, 2016

Sunday Psalms: Chapters 16, 19, and 20

Sunday Psalms Chap. 16, 19, & 20

Psalm 16:5 “Lord, You have assigned me my portion and my cup; You have made my lot secure.”

Worry really is entirely pointless when I consider Who holds my life in His hands. What good does worry possibly do? Does it change my circumstances? Does it make me a better person? No and no. I either trust God or I don’t.

Yet still I worry.

Perhaps worry is the touch of mortal earth on our immortal souls. Maybe it will never go away entirely while I’m here on Earth. But that doesn’t mean I need to cultivate it. God’s got everything well in hand. He sees every part of my life, the good and the bad, and He has a purpose in all of it. I can trust that, like David, God has “made my cup secure.”

Psalm 19:1-2 “The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of His hands. Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they display knowledge.”

I think that I often take for granted the living painting all around me. Just think of the variation in the sky: the pastels of morning, the vibrant blue of a summer afternoon, the deep hues of a sunset, the twinkling brilliance of a thousand stars. And yet, so often my gaze is stuck down, worrying about all my little troubles. I have only to look up to be awestruck, to be reminded of my God’s greatness.

Psalm 20:1, 6 “May the Lord answer you when you are in distress; may the name of the God of Jacob protect you…Now I know that the Lord saves His anointed; He answers him from His holy heaven with the saving power of His right hand.”

The first half of this chapter feels like a beautiful benediction. And the thing about benedictions, in my understanding, is that they are blessings given in the knowledge of truth. So, this isn’t merely wishful thinking; this is a series of promises. God will answer you; He will send you help; He will give you the desires of your heart. The second half of the chapter affirms those blessings: the Lord saves and we can trust in Him.


What do these verses say to you? What have you been reading in Scripture lately? Let me know in the comments!

2 comments:

  1. I like the middle one, Psalms 19:1-2.
    To me, creation doesn't just speak of God's glory- it sings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that perspective, Blue! I'm not a very outdoorsy person, and I think I let that limit me sometimes. But there is so much all around us that points to Him. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete

Hey, there! I love comments, and I'm always quick to respond. Got something to say?