Friday, July 15, 2022

Thoughts from the Book of Romans

About a month ago, I started a Bible reading plan that is taking me through the letters of Paul. This is the specific plan, if you're interested - Paul's Letters. All this year, I have been working on studying God's Word more consistently - it's a habit I had really let myself get out of, and I've suffered for it. At first, all I could manage was a quick daily devotional. Then I did a two-week study on the Holy Spirit, and now I'm doing this. Eventually, I'd like to get back into reading the Psalms, as well. But, for now, this is enough. Usually, it's a couple chapters a day. The only thing I don't like about YouVersion is that it adds specific dates to each day, but I just ignore those if I miss a day (or on Sunday, when I don't typically do a personal devotional/study). 

I just finished Romans with this plan. And I will admit, it took me much longer than the plan has it taking, but that's okay. I can't remember the last time I read Romans all the way through; I'm not actually sure I ever have. So it's been a good experience. Anyway, I thought I'd share some of my favorite verses and the thoughts I wrote down for them. 


Each new book has its own overview from the Bible Project. Romans had two - Chapters 1-4 and Chapters 5-16

Romans 2:28-29 "A person is not a Jew who is one only outwardly, nor is circumcision merely outward and physical. No, a person is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is circumcision of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the written code."

Circumcision set God's people apart in the Old Testament. And it was done in obedience to God. But circumcision in and of itself cannot save anyone. God is looking to circumcise our hearts through the work of the Holy Spirit and make us clean.

Romans 4:23-24 "The words 'it was credited to him [Abraham]' were written not for him alone, but also for us, to whom God will credit righteousness."

The study note for these verses talks about the exchange we make - we give God our sin, and He gives us justification and righteousness. Generally, an exchange includes things of somewhat equal value. But that is the exact opposite in this case! We give God something dirty and shameful, and He gives us His perfect righteousness. There's nothing equal about that! How incredible that God gives us this gift!

Romans 5:3-4 "... but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope."

This is an important verse to me, and it has been for a while. When we encounter trials and difficulties here on earth, it's sometimes really hard to keep going. Sometimes these are huge trials, like persecution in places like China. But other times it's the daily grind. In my case, that's parenting a toddler, and it can be incredibly overwhelming sometimes. Yet I know that what feels insurmountable some days is not the end. When we can keep going through suffering and trial, we are persevering. And, as we persevere, God is creating character in us, which results in a hope that does not go out. We have a hope of eternal life; we know that this is not all there is, and that's a tremendous encouragement to me on days that feel exhausting. 

Romans 7:21-23 "So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind..."

Every day, I am at war with sin - in the form of disobedience and rebellion in my small child, and very definitely in myself. I don't want to be angry and snap, yet I do. I don't want to be resentful, yet sometimes I am. This is the work of sin in me. Yet I am not a slave to sin - I do not have to obey Satan. "Do not offer any part of yourself to sin... offer every part of yourself to [God]." (6:13) I don't want any part of me acting in the service of the Devil - not my mouth, in particular, which is what I struggle with the most. Instead, I want God to have everything.

Romans 11:36 "For from him and through Him and for Him are all things."

I cannot fully understand God's methods, because I am not God. But I trust Him. This verse is at the close of the chapter in this lovely doxology that essentially says God is above our understanding. It very much reminds me of the questioning chapter in Job. God is so far above our human understanding. We cannot fathom the mind of God. Yet He is holding all things together, and He loves us beyond our ability to fully grasp. 

Romans 12:3 "...Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you."

There is nothing about me inherently that makes me better than anyone else. I need to remind myself of that sometimes. But in Christ, I am worthy, accepted, and loved. That is where I find my value.

Romans 12:12 "Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer."

This whole section describes Christian living, but this verse is a succinct roadmap of perseverance. We have in Christ a hope that never dies, so we can be joyful. We can hold on through trials, knowing they will end. And we can keep praying, knowing that God hears every word.

Romans 13:12 "The night is nearly over; the day is almost here. So let us put aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light."

I love this picture of time - that the night of our suffering and loneliness and fear is ending, and the day of Jesus' return is so very close. 

Romans 15:5-6, 30 "May the God Who gives endurance and encouragement give you the same attitude of mind toward each other that Christ Jesus had, so that with one mind and one voice you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ... I urge you, brothers and sisters, by the love of the Spirit, to join me in my struggle by praying to God for me."

God desires first obedience and then, above all else, unity. There should not be petty squabbling over differences of opinion in the church of Christ. Discussions about different interpretations of Scripture are healthy and good. But judgment and arguments over "disputable matters" are not. God gives different convictions to each of us, and Paul makes it clear that do ignore your convictions is sin. But that doesn't mean God has given someone else the same convictions, and it would be wrong me for to judge them for that. 

The final verse speaks to the importance of prayer. Too often, I treat prayer as an afterthought. In reality, though, it is a mighty weapon, and it's one of the ways we can unite with Christians around the globe. 

 So, there are some of my recent thoughts from the Book of Romans. What do you think of these verses? What things stand out to you most from this book? Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, there! I love comments, and I'm always quick to respond. Got something to say?