Friday, September 9, 2022

I've Decided to Start Bible Journaling

So, here's the thing. I'm a words person. I process things by talking and writing. And this has always been true with my Bible reading, as well. Yet I've never made notes in my Bible. For some reason that stems from I-don't-really-know-where, I've always felt sacrilegious about making any kind of mark in my Bible. 

I've journaled alongside my Bible reading for a long time. I've always called it a prayer journal, but really it's more of a devotional, observational journal on what I'm reading in my Bible, with occasional prayers written down. Until recently, that's what I thought of if I heard the term "Bible journaling." Now I'm coming to realize that it refers more to actually writing things down in your Bible, alongside the text. Maybe not universally, but perhaps more stereotypically, it especially refers to artistic illustrations and pretty notes in your Bible. If you type in "Bible journaling" on Pinterest, you'll find plenty of examples of what I mean. 

I recently got to thinking about this more because of some videos I've been watching from the Youtube channel How to Faith a Life. She's got some really interesting stuff, and I'm just starting to get into some of it. I do recommend her videos analyzing worship music. But she had a couple videos that particularly made me start thinking about this topic - How I Bible Journal and Bible Journaling Hacks. Until I saw those, I hadn't even really thought about doing in-depth notes in my Bible. I had toyed with the idea of a note here and there, but, again, I have always struggled with feeling sacrilegious about that. But here was a seminary student and pastor's wife showing how well-used and in-depth her in-Bible notes are. And I began to wonder if I could do that.

As I was mulling that over, I came across a couple more videos, this time from Justine Cheri Ordway - Let's talk about Bible journaling..., in which she explains why she completely stopped the practice, and a follow up video 6 months after doing so. What Justine struggled with was the trap of artistic journaling in her Bible - she felt pressured, she felt like she wasn't good enough at it, and she felt like she was losing touch with the true joy of reading God's Word. I think all of those issues are important and speak to the potential dangers of artistic Bible journaling. As I was looking up Bible journaling on Pinterest for this post, I came across this article - Why Not to Do Bible Journaling - that speaks to a lot of the same issues. 


Now, if you are someone who enjoys drawing in your Bible, I'm not going to sit here and say that's a bad thing. Only you and God can know your heart. I'm really not particularly artistic, so any attempt by me at that would only be distraction. But, as I've been thinking about this topic, I've realized that's not what I want to do, anyway. I don't want to try adding illustrations and pretty artwork to my Bible. If I want to be artistic with Scripture, I'll use one of my coloring books - this one of the Psalms is super fun. I want a way to add what I already do in a separate notebook to my Bible. I have a lot of notes going back years - prayer journaling, sermon notes, etc. But they're all in scattered notebooks, and I don't usually go back and look through them. So, while they were beneficial to me in the moment, they don't add a lot to my further study. When I go back to a passage I've read before, I might remember a little bit, but I don't have those notes in front of me to aid me in going deeper into that passage. Instead, I'm always stuck at a semi-surface level with that passage. There's also that saying that "Bibles that are falling apart belong to people whose lives are not." I have always tended to treat my Bible with kid gloves, wanting it to be pristine. But I don't think that's a good way to look at it. I think it's good to be reverent with your Bible, but I don't want to be so careful with it that I don't use it.

I want to go deeper. I want to add to my knowledge, but more importantly, I want to open my heart to what God is saying. I want to understand Scripture in context, and I want to let it speak into my life. So, I've decided to dip my toe in and try something new. The problem is that my current Bible doesn't really have a lot of space for that kind of thing. It's a really nice study Bible that my parents gave me when I graduated from high school (if I remember correctly). I love that Bible! It's got great context at the beginning of each book, and the study notes have some wonderful application that I get a lot out of. I have no intention of every getting rid of that Bible. And I still have some slight hesitation about writing on those super thin pages. This might take me a bit to get over... Anyway, I decided to get a specific journaling Bible. This is the one I ordered - ESV Journaling Bible, Interleaved Edition. It was on sale
(still is, looks like), and that's the one I believe Faith from How to Faith a Life uses. It's really cool because it has an entire blank page next to every page in the Bible. So lots of room! It's described as being "Patterned after the Bible that Jonathan Edwards, the 18th-century preacher and theologian, used to record more than 5,000 notes about God's Word." I've heard about Edwards' prodigious notes before, but it's been a long time since I looked into it. I think that's really a cool way to think about it. 

I've always used the NIV translation for my Bible, so contemplating a new version was a bit of a nail biter for me. But I've always heard good things about the ESV, and it's fairly similar to the NIV. Besides, I think it's a great practice to have different translations on hand - often you will get more context for a verse or passage. So I did it. I bought a new Bible. It should get here toward the end of this month, and then I'll see what I'm working with. I have every intention of continuing to use my study Bible. I think they'll work well alongside each other, and I will probably use that one when I just want to sit down and read a passage. 

It will take me a while to get into a groove, I think. I know for sure that I don't want to put frivolous notes in this Bible. I don't want it to be a place where I put just anything and everything that pops into my mind. But I think it will be a great place for things I learn about historical context and word origin. It will be a place for solid sermon notes and real life application. I do think you can be sacrilegious just putting whatever you want on the pages of the Bible, but I'm coming to a place of realizing that writing itself is not wrong. It can be good and helpful, and that's what I want it to be. 

I will most likely still use a notebook sometimes. I want to get better at actually writing prayers down, and that will be a good place for those. And, like I said, not every thought should go in my Bible. Some things are helpful to write down, process, and then move on from, and I think that's true with Bible reading, too. I'm excited about this, though. I'm excited for the possibilities.

Have you ever done any form of Bible journaling? How do you like to study God's Word? I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, there! I love comments, and I'm always quick to respond. Got something to say?