Saturday, October 1, 2022

September's Reads: Literary Fiction

 So, September did not quite live up to my hopes in terms of reading. But I blame that on two things: 1) My library books just haven't come in when I expected them to and 2) We're potty training, and that takes up a huge amount of time and focus. September's genre was supposed to be Literary Fiction, which is really just a catch-all term for things that don't fit neatly into other genres. Honestly, I didn't read anything this month that could be considered literary fiction. But I'm okay with that.


Most of what I read this month was from Robin Jones Gunn. I started with a couple of "lost novellas" collected in her book Departures: Two Rediscovered Stories of Christy Miller and Sierra Jensen. 

(From Christianbook.com)

Join Christy Miller and Sierra Jensen in these two rediscovered stories. Both stories, which slightly overlap, take place one summer when both girls take vacation trips. In Now Boarding at Gate 10, Christy and her family are travelling to Wisconsin for her grandparents' 50th anniversary party. Once there in her old hometown, Christy runs into an old school crush, Matthew, and sees what life could have been if she never moved.

In In the Event of a Water Landing, Sierra is taking a trip with her friend Jana's family to Montana. On the way, Sierra and her friends get to deal with cancelled flights, the Mall of America, and Sierra knocking out a security guard! Once they reach Montana, Sierra realizes that Jana is much more ready to blossom than Sierra is. Will Sierra figure out her way?

It was fun to go back in time in a sense reading these. I've been reading a lot of Christy Miller books lately, but those have all been set once she's grown up and married. Both of these stories are firmly set back when the girls were teenagers. Both are quick reads, and I enjoyed them!

I moved back into adult fiction with Gunn's book Canary Island Song

(From Christianbook.com)

When Carolyn's grown daughter tells her to "get a life," she decides to make a surprise visit to her mother in the Canary Islands. But it's Carolyn who's caught off balance when she sees Bryan, her high school sweetheart. It's been seven years since her husband died. Is it time for Carolyn to get her heart back?

This one was all romance, obviously. And I really liked it! I don't often read romances about characters in middle age, so it was fun to get into a different perspective. Gunn clearly loves the Canary Islands, off the western coast of Africa, and her descriptions are fun. I would say this book is more descriptive than a lot of her books are, so that's a little different. But I enjoyed the characters, the setting, the plot, and the minor tie-in to the Christy Miller series.

I also read Love Finds You in Sunset Beach, Hawaii. It appears to have been recently re-released as A Kiss at Sunset Beach

(From Christianbook.com)

When a wealthy friend offers Sierra Jensen a vacation at an oceanfront beach house on the island of Oahu, Sierra envisions a quiet retreat where she can figure out what to do now that she's at the crossroads in her life. The timing coincides with a wedding that puts her face to face with Paul, her high school crush and introduces her to Jordan, the wedding photographer. Sierra and Jordan connect unexpectedly the next day and feel the damaging effects of a tropical storm that brings in the big waves and launches the annual surfing competition. Sierra begins to wonder why she and Jordan connected the way they did. But Jordan's lens and attention are focused on the surfers and he is not willing to let anyone get in his way of landing the next cover shot for Surf Days magazine. Sierra and Jordan came to Sunset Beach looking for different things. But as the surf pounds the North Shore, will they discover something better than either of them had imagined?

I really enjoyed reading about Sierra Jensen all grown up and trying to figure out her life. The characters are interesting, and the plot is fun. But I think the most impactful part of the story was the message about grace and forgiveness and listening for God's voice.

The last Robin Jones Gunn book I read was Sandy Toes, another Christy Miller book. This is the series I have been waiting on the longest from the library - somehow, I got #1 and #3, but #2 was checked out for the longest time! Anyway, I'm still waiting to finish it because of that, but I really enjoyed this book. (Please note that the Christianbook link in the picture has the wrong description, but it is the right book).

And lastly, I've been working my way through Cornelia Funke's Inkspell. I don't know why this one is taking me so long to finish; it's an interesting book. For some reason I've just really slowed down reading the last couple weeks. I blame potty training! Anyway, I'm working on finishing that, which will be good. Then there's one more book in that series, Inkdeath


Next month's genre is Historical Romance, which I am very excited about. I've got a couple new books I haven't made time to read yet that will be perfect for that. What have you been reading lately? I'd love to hear about it in the comments! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, there! I love comments, and I'm always quick to respond. Got something to say?