Friday, March 31, 2023

Thoughts from 1 Timothy

My time spent in Paul’s Letters continued with 1 Timothy. And there is so much good stuff in this letter! You can check out The Bible Project’s overview here.

Thoughts from the Book of Romans - 1

 

1 Tim 1:3-5 “As I urged you when I went into Macedonia, stay there in Ephesus so that you may command certain people not to teach false doctrines any longer or to devote themselves to myths and endless genealogies. Such things promote controversial speculations rather than advancing God’s work – which is by faith. The goal of this command is love, which comes from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith.”

The church at Ephesus was really struggling under the influence of false teachers. When Paul originally wrote them around AD 60, they were thriving. He extolled their faith and encouraged unity in the church. Now, roughly 4 years later, they were being led astray, and Paul had sent Timothy to guide them back to the right path.

Here, Paul emphasizes the importance of not letting anything distract from the Gospel. Some teachers in Ephesus were apparently spinning grand concepts involving genealogies in the Old Testament, and they were getting everyone caught up in the minutiae of things that just didn’t matter.

Today, people can get majorly caught up in details about the end times or even apologetics. I think learning to defend the Truth is a good thing – we are called to be ready to give an answer – but any time we start sliding into speculation, we need to be careful. The message of the Gospel is of utmost importance, and we don’t want to ever get too caught up in details and needless speculation that we lose sight of that or miss chances to share it.

1 Tim 2:1-4 “I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people – for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior, Who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.”

My study note points out that this is particularly remarkable because Nero was emperor of Rome at this time. Prayer is something that my relationship with has ebbed and flowed over time. I really like the idea of an attitude of prayer, the “praying continually” concept. I’m just not great at it, to be honest. I’ve incorporated it more as I’ve gotten older, but it’s definitely a process. I have my set prayers – mealtimes and bedtime with my daughter – that I try to take seriously and not let become too formulaic and empty. Outside of that, I do send quick prayers, but they tend to be exclusively cries for help. Which is good, of course, but I want to get better at prayers of gratitude and prayers over people as I see them.

I tend to really struggle with long prayers, though. Praying through prayer requests, praying for family, friends, leaders, and the world. I have partly a focus problem and partly a time issue. I don’t always have the time – my daughter does wake up eventually – but more often I struggle to give the time.

Prayers are something I really appreciate at my church. They are very public and very serious. I like that we make that an important part of corporate worship. I remember when I was younger and my grandparents would stay with us. My grandpa always had a long, intense prayer session on his knees at the side of the bed. I was kind of intimidated at the time, but now I’m amazed and inspired.

1 Tim 2:5 “For there is one God and one mediator between God and mankind, the man Christ Jesus.”

My study note: “We can stand on one side of a gorge and discuss the possibility of many bridges across the abyss, but if we are determined to cross, we will have to commit to one bridge.”

1 Tim 4:12-14 “Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, and in purity. Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to preaching and to teaching. Do not neglect your gift, which was given you through prophecy when the body of elders laid their hands on you.”

Not all gifts are given as dramatically as Timothy’s apparently was, but we all have gifts. And we are all, I believe, instructed to use them. God doesn’t give us gifts to watch us squander them. He has a purpose and a plan, and He wants us to seek it out. The closer I get to 30, the less I think people will “look down” on my youth. But there are still so many time I feel inadequate. Yet I don’t want that to hold me back from using my gifts.

1 Tim 6:6 “But godliness with contentment is great gain.”

This verse follows Paul telling Timothy to stay away from those who only want to argue and are looking to get rich. Godliness with contentment is the great secret. Contentment comes when we recognize that we have everything we need in Christ.

1 Tim 6:11-12 “But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness. Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called when you made your good confession in the presence of many witnesses.”

I love the phrase “take hold of the eternal life.” It’s an active thing. Eternal life isn’t way off in the future; it’s now.


So those are my thoughts from my reading of 1 Timothy. I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, there! I love comments, and I'm always quick to respond. Got something to say?