Friday, February 27, 2015

Flash Fiction Challenge #3

Here we go, people! It’s time for another circular flash fiction challenge! I hosted the last one in September 2014, and it created some awesome stories. You can check them out here.

For those of you who haven’t heard about my flash fiction challenges, every so often, I host a challenge that includes three elements:

  • A writing prompt someone gives to you
  • A writing prompt you give to someone else
  • Feedback for each of the participants by the various participants

“Flash fiction” is a genre of short fiction, generally around 500 words, but examples can be up to 1000 words. In our challenge, the maximum length will be 1000 words, but each person may assign a shorter length with their prompt. Prompts can be anything from a concept to a sentence starter to a picture, etc. If it can prompt a story, you can use it.

Tell me a story in under 1000 words

Feel free to use this image to promote the challenge. Just don’t change it in any way, please.

If you’d like to participate, comment on this post with the name of the blog you would be posting your story on. If you don’t have a blog, you can still take part! Email me at rachelleoneilwriter [at] gmail [dot] com, and I’ll put you on the list. On Friday, March 13th, two weeks from today, I will pair you each with your partners and give the official rule list. You may sign up anytime between now and then. For now, remember the following:

  1. Your prompt is dependent on someone I assign to you.
  2. No profanity, sexual scenes, or excessive violence.
  3. If you do sign up, do me a favor and spread the word about the challenge via Twitter, Pinterest, or some other method. You may use the above image to do so.

If you have any questions at all, please comment or email me. I’d love to have you take part!

22 comments:

  1. Yay! I've been looking forward to this challenge ever since the last one. I was a bit late for the previous one, but now I can participate. My blog is http://butterfliesoftheimagination.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been watching the last couple of challenges, and really want to participate this time. My blog is https://craftingstoriesinred.wordpress.com.

    ReplyDelete
  3. *deep breath* I'm going to participate again. I always get a little nervous about the prompt I'm going to get, (especially since the last one was hard) but it'll be a good exercise for me. :D

    http://awritersfaith.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You wrote such a beautiful story last time, Katie! Don't be nervous. :) I always feel stretched by these challenges in a really good way.

      Delete
  4. Hi! I'm Faith, and I'd love to participate in this challenge. :-) I'm a bit nervous, since, while I've done snippets from picture and sentence prompts before, I've never done Flash Fiction... But I'm also excited. xD
    My blog is https://storyoffire.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Faith! I'm so glad you're joining us! I hope you enjoy the experience. :)

      Delete
  5. I'd love to participate! :D Sign me up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey! Visiting from the GTW's link-up.
    I haven't written a flash-ficton story for a while. I don't think I'm on for it this round, but it does sound like fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by!

      You sure? It's really fun! ;)

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Hey. :-)

      Oh, yeah. My blog is https://blossomsandthorns.wordpress.com/ Should have said that in my last comment.

      Delete
  8. Count me in. oliviascribbles.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I'm looking forward to what you come up with! :)

      Delete
  9. Thanks for letting me know about this, I think I will join : ) I haven't written fiction in quite a while, but I guess that's as much of a reason to do this than not to.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here is your prompt: :)

    "The cyclone closed in on us like a pack of wolves. The ravenous ocean surrounded us on all sides. There was no escape."

    Write a piece that explores the experience of facing an imminent natural disaster. If you wish, take inspiration from the above quote and/or from the following image: http://images.tvnz.co.nz/tvnz_images/national_news/2015/03/windmap_cyclone_pam_today_E1.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Leinad! This is simultaneously intimidating and exciting. :D

      Delete

Hey, there! I love comments, and I'm always quick to respond. Got something to say?