Friday, March 13, 2015

Kick-Off for Flash Fiction Challenge #3

Hey, everyone, it’s here! Time to kick-off the flash fiction challenge for March 2015! I’d like to thank each and every one of you who has chosen to participate and who spread the word. Thanks to you, we have a total of eleven participants, which is way more than either of my other challenges. I’m very excited!

So, to review, this challenge includes:

  • A writing prompt someone gives to you
  • A writing prompt you give to someone else
  • Feedback for each of the participants by the various participants

“Flash fiction” is a genre of short fiction, generally around 500 words, but examples can be up to 1000 words. In our challenge, the maximum length will be 1000 words, but each person may assign a shorter length with their prompt. Prompts can be anything from a concept to a sentence starter to a picture, etc. If it can prompt a story, you can use it. Here are your partners. Clicking on the name will lead you to the person’s blog, except for a couple exceptions, which will be explained below.


I will give a prompt to Olivia Flewelling

Olivia will give a prompt to Ana 

Ana will give a prompt to Leanne

Leanne will give a prompt to Emmarayn Redding (Rayne Speryll)

Emmarayn will give a prompt to Sierra

Sierra will give a prompt to Katie Grace

Katie will give a prompt to Faith Song

Faith will give a prompt to Caiti Marie

Caiti will give a prompt to Athelas Hale

Athelas will give a prompt to Leinad

Leinad will give a prompt to me


A note on those exceptions:

Leanne and Sierra do not have blogs, so I will be posting both of their stories here on The Ink Loft. For those of you giving them prompts (Ana and Emmarayn), just comment on this post, making it clear who the comment is directed at. They will be able to comment on your blogs, though, so there shouldn’t be any problems.

All right, as always, no profanity, graphic violence, or sexual scenes. Find your partner and give them their prompt, along with a word count of your choice (but no more than 1000 words). Except for the exceptions I’ve noted, you may just visit your partner’s blog and comment on their most recent post. Assign their prompt before you start work on your own flash fiction. You will have two weeks to write your story. It should be posted on Friday, March 27th, before 3pm Central Time. Then you’ll give feedback to the person who gave you a prompt and the person you gave a prompt to. I’ll remind you about that on the 27th. If you have any questions, feel free to comment here or email me at rachelleoneilwriter (at) gmail (dot) com.

Good luck, everyone! I look forward to reading your stories!

17 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm so excited. :-) I got a great prompt, and ideas are already stirring. xD

    ReplyDelete
  2. So excited! :D

    TO SIERRA- Here is your prompt:

    He pressed his fingertips together and looked at me with cold eyes. "You are not," he said. "You are not, and you never have been."
    I blanched, unable to believe what I'd just heard. My eyes filling with tears, I took a sharp breath. "How can you say that? After everything we've been through... how?"


    I hope you like it! I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quick question: Is she supposed to start her story with that or just include it somewhere in the text? And what's the word limit?

      I'm glad you're excited!

      Delete
    2. It doesn't matter. She can use it however she wants. Word limit can be however much or little she wants, as long as it's under 1000 words, as specified in your post above. :D

      Delete
  3. I'm so excited to receive my prompt! Here's your prompt, Leanne:

    Write a flash fiction piece based on this picture: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/402790760398350689/.
    The word limit is 1000 words. I'm looking forward to reading your piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ana!! Can't wait to start :)
      Just to make sure I got the right pic, it's the one of girl with four drawn birds lifting up her hair right?

      Delete
  4. I have written my story and posted it on my blog! http://writinginrivendell.blogspot.com/2015/03/flash-fiction-ready.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay. :) I'll make sure and link to it next week.

      Delete
  5. Hi Rachelle! I finished my story, and I just wanted to let you know about it. Here's the link: https://butterfliesoftheimagination.wordpress.com/2015/03/26/the-flash-fiction-challenge-in-which-i-procrastinate-and-try-to-write-a-flash-fiction-piece-on-the-day-i-post-it/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, hey, Ana! I actually meant for you to post it tomorrow, but that's okay. :) I look forward to reading it!

      Delete
    2. Oops! I think I misread it and thought I had to post it before the 27th so you could collect them and post them on that day. Sorry! :(

      Delete
    3. That's okay! You're not the only one who thought that. :) I will be collecting them. Just not at this moment.

      Delete
  6. I'm a few minutes late posting it, but I finished it on time. Here's the link: https://storyoffire.wordpress.com/2015/03/27/flash-fiction-challenge-march-2015/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So was I. ;) Don't worry about it. I look forward to reading it!

      Delete
    2. Okay. :-) Thanks. *goes to read yours*

      Delete

Hey, there! I love comments, and I'm always quick to respond. Got something to say?