Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Entertainment of the Week: August 11, 2015

Book of the Week:

Honestly, the book that would define this week would probably be Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, but I’ve decided not to use Harry Potter examples all the time. So, since I haven’t read much else, this week I’m going to spotlight instead a few books that I’ve bought recently.

The Zion Chronicles series by Bodie and Brock Thoene – I just acquired the last few, so I now own all five books of this series set in post-WW2 Israel. I’ve probably mentioned before how much I love the Thoene’s historical fiction; if you like that genre, then I definitely encourage you to check this series out.

Inkspell by Cornelia Funke – I recently read the Inkheart trilogy to its conclusion for the first time and loved it. This is the second book in the series, and I am excited to start my collection with it. You can find my review of the trilogy here.

The Centurion’s Wife by Davis Bunn and Janette Oke – This is an incredibly riveting, sweet story set in first-century Judea. It looks at the birth of Christianity through the eyes of a Roman centurion and a Roman serving girl related to Pilate. To be honest, I basically grew out of Janette Oke books years ago, but I’ve read this one twice, and I love it.

Movie of the Week:

The Hunters, starring Alexa PenaVega (Spy Kids), Robbie Amell (The Flash), and Victor Garber (Argo, The Flash), is a fun adventure film with a good dose of cheese and a likeable cast. Exactly my type of movie. It reminded me strongly of The Librarians TV series, which I love. The main characters, Paxton and Tripp Flynn, have grown up constantly shunted off to boarding schools and convinced their parents don’t care about them. When their parents go missing, they learn that they’re actually part of a secret society that protects legendary items like the Golden Fleece and Cinderella’s glass shoes from the clutches of power-hungry people. With the pushing of Paxton’s former girlfriend, Dylan, also a Hunter, they set off to find their parents and save the world, with dashes of humor and romance along the way.

Music of the Week:

"Magnet and Steel" by Walter Egan

I heard this song at a wedding I was involved with over the weekend, and it was rather catchy, so I thought I share it with y’all. It’s from the late 70’s and, essentially, talks about the deep connection between the singer and the woman he’s in love with. It’s simple and fun and out of my ordinary genres, so it was fun to discover.

2 comments:

  1. My brother brought The Hunters home one Friday evening several weeks ago, and it very rapidly became a favorite, especially among all the little ones in the house. I especially appreciated that it was completely clean; something you don't see a lot in movies these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad someone else has heard of it! And you're so right on the cleanliness. I completely loved this movie. :D

      Delete

Hey, there! I love comments, and I'm always quick to respond. Got something to say?