Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Entertainment of the Week: August 4, 2015

Ah, what a week it was! Work, weather, sickness… All kinds of things have been going on. Yet entertainment still finds its way into my life.

Book of the Week:

I first saw the movie versions of Harry Potter a few months ago and loved them. I’ve had every intention of reading the books, as well, but after finishing this first book yesterday, I can’t believe I waited so long! The Harry Potter series is famous worldwide, and it is easy to see why. The story of an abused and unloved child finding friendship and meaning in a magical world far removed from his everyday drudgery is charming and highly enjoyable. It’s easy to see that this series was first intended for children; it’s written simply and concisely. Yet it still carries its own magic within. Just because it’s for kids doesn’t make it less in any way. J.K. Rowling has created an incredible world with deep characters and a riveting story, and I can’t wait to read the rest of the books.

Movie of the Week:

This movie is adorable. Featuring the voice talents of Meg Ryan, John Cusack, and Christopher Lloyd, this film fictionalizes the story of Grand Duchess Anastasia, the daughter of Czar Nicholas II of Russia. Knowing the story of the Communist revolution and downfall of the Romanovs, the entire premise of the story is inaccurate. Yet it revolves around a mystery that persists through the years: what if Anastasia survived? In this film, she doesn’t die with her family, instead growing into a young woman with no idea who she is. She falls in with the delightful characters of Dmitri and Vladmir, who are planning to con the real Anastasia’s grandmother into giving them reward money by delivering “her granddaughter” to her. The situation is clearly headed for a fairytale ending except for the evil presence of Rasputin, who is determined to wipe out the Romanovs forever. This is one of animation’s lesser known gems, and I’m very happy that I found it.

Music of the Week:

"Once Upon a December" by Liz Callaway

The movie Anastasia is full of music, but this is far and away the best song in the film. It’s incredibly haunting, sweet, and nostalgic all at the same time. I had it distinctly stuck in my head after finishing the movie.

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE HARRY POTTER! Glad to see that you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm. I haven't read/watched/listened to any of these. At least not yet.
    But I wanted you to know that I found "Gods and Kings", which was featured on your last entertainment post, at my church library. It may not be quite my style of book, but I enjoy being able to read historical fiction that is set in biblical times (and that does not focus on romance 90% of the time). Thanks again for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I hope you get a chance to check them out! :)

      That's great! I'm so glad you got the chance to check it out.

      Delete

Hey, there! I love comments, and I'm always quick to respond. Got something to say?