Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Happenings of the Month: January 2017

I feel like it's been so long since I did any kind of life update, since I skipped my Happenings post for December. Ultimately, it hasn't been that long, but some of December's stuff may bleed into this post.

Happenings of the Month Jan 2017

Entertainment of the Month:

  • Movies/TV

I didn't hear about The Resurrection of Gavin Stone until right before it entered theaters, but I was super intrigued when I did discover it. And it was so worth it when I went to the theater to see it! This movie is about a former child star whose partying and reckless behavior has now earned him community service at a church in his hometown. Though its climax was, unfortunately, rather predictable, I found the story sweet, hilarious, and remarkably self-aware of Christian clichés. I was particularly impressed by the acting of Brett Dalton, who plays the main character in an entirely different style than his incredibly dark character on Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. If nothing else, it made me smile. I definitely recommend it!

  • Books

I have a whole lot of in-progress books at the moment, actually, most notably:

Inkspell by Cornelia Funke – This is the second time I've read Funke's Inkheart trilogy, and, though I don't appreciate the occasional language in the books, it is a fascinating, deeply developed saga.

The Firewall Saga by Braden Russell – One of my favorite bloggers, Braden Russell, is currently on the second season of his ongoing web serial. I'm still trying to catch up and am only on Season 1. But I'm greatly enjoying it.

  • Music

"10 Years of One Republic" – Peter Hollens & Mike Tompkins – A super fun One Republic medley celebrating the band's ten-year anniversary

"Indiana Jones and the Arabian Nights" – The Piano Guys – I got The Piano Guys' newest album, Uncharted, for Christmas, and everything off it is amazing.

My Life This Month:

I can't say my break from school felt long enough. I mean, I said that after last summer, too, but still. It's a lot to go from the craziness that ends one semester, into Christmas, and into the craziness that starts a new semester. Things have definitely gotten harder since I've started taking classes for my major. And I'm actually in the midst of a rethink for my major, but that's a different topic (aaand I sound like a typical college student…)

Life's been a little rough lately. I kid you not when I say that I am one of exactly two single people in my small group. There's one couple dating, and everyone else is engaged. And, frankly, it kind of sucks sometimes. It's really hard to be out of sync with your friends, at a different stage of life than they are. And then there's the ol' green-eyed monster, which rears its head all too often. A common struggle for me lately, if you couldn't tell. One I don't much appreciate.

Still, God is faithful. The first couple weeks of school have had some major ups and downs, and I have been stressed. But God has worked things out – needing to switch a class, getting caught up on assignments. He's worked all along in the college process, and I know that He is still doing so. I can trust in that.

I do have one success this month, though. I finally got back to my YouTube channel! You can check it out here, if you feel so inclined.

Other Web Happenings:

15 of the Best YouTube Channels for Writers | The Write Life – Though I haven't gotten a chance to check these out yet, I was quite pleased to come across a list like this.

Why the Wait | The Writer's Alley – A post about waiting for being published that I found applicable to much more than just writing

Trump's Executive Order on Refugees – Separating Fact from Hysteria | National Review – I don't know if any of you are politically-minded, but one of President Trump's latest executive orders is causing chaos and consternation that I find rather ridiculous. This is a very logical look at the whole thing.


How was your January? Watch any good movies lately? Let me know in the comments!

4 comments:

  1. Firewall Saga! Braden Russell is a skillful story-teller. I can't wait to see where this story leads.

    I found that article interesting. Politics isn't the most fun thing on the planet, but that's usually because of the emotion involved. I suggest we all go into Spock mode when discussing politics.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he is! Although I was quite sad to see the email he sent out a couple days ago. :(

      I'm glad you checked it out! Ha, Spock mode might make things easier, for sure. I think there's a place for passion, but not when it completely railroads logic.

      Delete
  2. I've really been wanting to read the Firewall Saga! I haven't gotten around to it yet, but I have his blog bookmarked for me to go back to.

    Hey -- I'll be praying for you. Writing it down so I don't forget. Even though I'm not you and I'm not in your situation, I can still imagine that it would be hard. <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've totally done that before! It's definitely worth reading, though he's had to take a hiatus in the middle of Season 2. :/

      You are such a sweetheart, Katie. I really appreciate your support and your prayers. :)

      Delete

Hey, there! I love comments, and I'm always quick to respond. Got something to say?