Sunday, January 29, 2017

Sunday Psalms: Chapters 77-78

Sunday Psalms Chap. 77 and 78

Psalm 77:19 "Your path led through the sea, Your way through the mighty waters, though Your footprints were not seen."

In this chapter, a man despairs and wonders if God has forgotten him. Then he remembers all that the Lord has done. This verse, of course, is a reference to the parting of the Red Sea for the Israelites.

God made a path where there was none. The Children of Israel were trapped, and God opened up the very waters so they could walk through on dry land. Yet, "[God's] footprints were not seen." There are so many times in my life when I'm not sure I can see God. But He's working all around me. I can trust in that. After all, "We walk by faith, not by sight." (2 Cor. 5:7)

Psalm 78:38 "Yet He was merciful; He forgave their iniquities and did not destroy them."

This chapter is the story of Israel's rebellion and God's mercy. God rescued them from Egypt; they complained that they were hungry. He gave them a new land to call their own; they turned to the worship of idols. God did so much for Israel, and yet they were continually unfaithful, fickle, and quick to forget. Sometimes God got angry. Sometimes the wrath born of His great love meted out punishment. And when it did, they scurried back to Him, only to forget a short time later.

"Yet He was merciful."

If I was God, I don't think I would have tolerated Israel for very long. They would have driven me crazy pretty quickly. But thank God that He's not like me. Because I am Israel. I have a rebellious heart that forgets so quickly what the Lord has done.

And still He extends His mercy to me. It is new every morning, and He is always using in on my behalf. Thank You, Father!


What do you these verses say to you? Let me know in the comments!

2 comments:

Hey, there! I love comments, and I'm always quick to respond. Got something to say?