Friday, March 10, 2017

Reading Through My Bookshelf:: January and February's Reads

All right, I'm just going to admit it. My reading thus far has been pathetic. I just haven't read much. Or perhaps a more accurate statement is that I haven't finished much. I'm in the midst of a couple of large books that I'm reading slowly on purpose. In addition, I've started researching for a history paper about Ronald Reagan (which I am ecstatic about, by the way), and that's eating up my reading time, too.

Reading Through My Bookshelf Jan and Feb

At any rate, that's why I didn't do a books post for January. Because I only read two books, and that was just a little too pointless to post about. Anyway, here's my combined list from January and February.

1. In My Father's House by Bodie Thoene 4.5/5 – As the War to End All Wars comes to an end, four soldiers return home to a country that's anything but peaceful. Each will have to deal with loss in his own way – racism, loss of a limb, no home to call one's own. Through a wide web of historical context, a story about courage and trusting God unfolds that I absolutely love.

2. A Thousand Shall Fall by Bodie Thoene 4.5/5 – In this second book of The Shiloh Legacy, America plunges into a frenzy of greed, and each of its former soldiers must face it in a different way.

3. Destiny of the Republic: A Tale of Madness, Medicine, and the Murder of a President by Candice Millard 5/5 – I read this book about the assassination of President James Garfield for my history class, and I am really impressed. Though not a happy book – how could it be with its premise? – it is a well-written, fascinating look into a historical event shrouded in remarkable circumstances.

4. The Lost Girl of Astor Street by Stephanie Morrill 5/5 – I was sold just by the concept of a 1920s novel, but this book is so amazing. It's a detective story with an amazing heroine and a dynamic cast of supporting characters that I loved very, very much.

5. Say to This Mountain by Bodie Thoene 4.5/5 – The Shiloh Legacy concludes during The Great Depression, weaving a tale of finding happiness in God's timing and comfort in His Presence.

6. Lion of Babylon by Davis Bunn (audiobook) 4/5 – I was completely captured by this story about faith and history set in Iraq after the fall of Saddam Hussein. Mark Royce was dropped by the government when he took time off to care for his wife, but now three Americans have gone missing, and they need his help. He flies to Iraq, where he quickly finds out that not everyone wants the Americans found. He also learns that Christianity extends far beyond America.


What have you been reading? Let me know in the comments!

4 comments:

  1. I'm actually not much of a fan of Thoene's books, but In My Father's House looks interesting.

    I recently finished The Picture of Dorian Gray (which wasn't my cup of tea), and Dorothy L. Sayer's Strong Poison (Lord Peter Wimsey is my new favourite sleuth).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will admit that they are not for everyone. If you're not a fan of historical fiction, then they probably aren't your style. :) What is it that you don't like usually?

      Yeah, I've never really thought I'd enjoy Dorian Gray. Too dark for me. Hmm, I just looked up Strong Poison, and it does look rather interesting. Have you read Agatha Christie? How would you say the two styles compare?

      Delete
    2. I do like historical fiction. But I found that with many books the most interesting aspects are often left to the side, while the weakest aspect (the romance, actually) are the predominant part of the story. It's a pity. Is In My Father's House different, though?

      I love Agatha Christie!
      I'd say they're fairly similar. Anyone who likes Christie should also enjoy Sayers. (But then, I've only just started reading Sayers. Strong Poison was the second one I've read.)

      Delete
    3. Hmm, interesting. I would agree that relationships take center stage, but I like that, because history is ultimately about people. I don't agree that the romance is usually the weakest part, but I won't argue with you. :) I don't consider The Shiloh Legacy strongly romance-oriented, at least. It's primarily about people living in extraordinary times and choosing how to respond to those times. I think it's still very relationship focused, though, so if you're looking for more grandiose historical drama, I don't know that you'll get it. It actually took me a while to get into the books, actually, in comparison to other Thoene books that I've read. So, I'd definitely say they're different.

      Ah, I wondered. I've never really been able to get into Agatha Christie, so I doubt I would enjoy those too much. :D

      Delete

Hey, there! I love comments, and I'm always quick to respond. Got something to say?