Friday, August 15, 2014

Why Do You Write?

Words are beautiful. On their own, they’re simple. But put together, they are dynamic and meaningful. Writers all have their own reasons for why they write. Today, I thought I’d share with you my purpose in writing stories, and then I’d love to hear yours.

  • To create – When God created the world, he spoke. The Lord of the Universe could have simply thought of what He wanted and it would  have happened. But He chose to use words. I consider this one of the single most important reasons to never think writing is unimportant. Just as God created, we are creating with our words. And, as J.R.R. Tolkien said:

“We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Indeed only by myth-making, only by becoming ‘sub-creator’ and inventing stories, can Man aspire to the state of perfection that he knew before the Fall. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic ‘progress’ leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil.”

  • To share meaning – What is at the heart of our stories? Why do we put this effort into telling a story? To share something with people, correct? Stories remind people that good can defeat evil, that hope is real, and that we don’t have to be alone. When I write, I want to touch someone. I want to remind them that there is something meaningful in this life. I want them to know that life can be so much better than we expect. And to show that, I write stories.
  • To worship – We are beings made to worship God. That’s our highest purpose. Worship can often take many different forms for different people. Some people sing, some paint, some dance. I write. God has given you and I a gift of words; He wants us to use it. And, if you don’t put effort into developing that gift, I truly believe you’re squashing one of your areas of worship. God gives me words to use; I put them down on paper. I want my stories to reflect His goodness and His Light. I want them to be living, breathing worship.

What about you? Why do you write?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, there! I love comments, and I'm always quick to respond. Got something to say?