Friday, November 4, 2022

October's Reads: Historical Romance

So, I intended to write and post this last Friday. But I was sick, and things just got a little out of hand. Anyway, in October, the genre I was supposed to be reading was Historical Romance. This is definitely a favorite of mine, and I really enjoyed the books I read last month.


I started the month by reading An Hour Unspent by Roseanna M. White. This is the third book in her Shadows Over England series, which, like all her books, is fantastic. 

(From Roseanna's website)

Once London’s top thief, Barclay Pearce has turned his back on his life of crime and now uses his skills for a nation at war. But not until he rescues a clockmaker’s daughter from a mugging does he begin to wonder what his future might hold.

Evelina Manning has constantly fought for independence, but she certainly never meant for it to inspire her fiancĂ© to end the engagement and enlist in the army. When the intriguing man who saved her returns to the Manning residence to study clockwork repair with her father, she can’t help being interested. But she soon learns that nothing with Barclay Pearce is as simple as it seems.

As 1915 England plunges ever deeper into war, the work of an ingenious clockmaker may give England an unbeatable military edge—and Germany realizes it as well. Evelina’s father soon finds his whole family in danger—and it may just take a reformed thief to steal the time they need to escape it.


I loved this book! I really can never find anything bad to say about Roseanna's books. She creates such rich characters and settings. I thought the theme in this one was particularly striking. 


I also read two of Roseanna's other books. I reread The Number of Love, the first book in her The Codebreakers series. 


(From Roseanna's website)


Three years into the Great War, England’s greatest asset is their intelligence network—field agents risking their lives to gather information, and codebreakers able to crack every German telegram. Margot De Wilde thrives in the environment of the secretive Room 40, where she spends her days deciphering intercepted messages. But when her world is turned upside down by an unexpected loss, for the first time in her life numbers aren’t enough.

Drake Elton returns wounded from the field, followed by an enemy that just won’t give up. He’s smitten quickly by the too-intelligent Margot, but how to convince a girl who lives entirely in her mind that sometimes life’s answers lie in the heart?

Amidst biological warfare, encrypted letters, and a German spy who wants to destroy not just them, but others they love, Margot and Drake will have to work together to save them all from the very secrets that brought them together.


The heroine in this story, Margot, is a very different person than me. She lives in a world of numbers and logic and has little tolerance for the "nonsense" outside that bubble. Yet she never comes across as cold. I love the way she is written; I could still relate to her even though we're totally different people. I liked the message, too. The description speaks to life's answers lying in the heart, but it's not in a wishy-washy Disney way. It's a real, grounded, biblical way, and I thought that was awesome. 


Book 2 in that series, On Wings of Devotion, is one I bought recently and hadn't yet made time to read.


(From Roseanna's website)


All of England thinks Major Phillip Camden a monster–a man who deliberately caused the deaths of his squadron. But he would have preferred to die that day with his men rather than be recruited to the Admiralty’s codebreaking division. The threats he receives daily are no great surprise and, in his opinion, well deserved.

As nurse Arabelle Denler observes the so-dubbed “Black Heart,” she sees something far different: a hurting man desperate for mercy. And when their families and paths twist together unexpectedly, she realizes she has a role to play in his healing–and some of her own to do as well.

This lived up to my hopes! Great characters, an interesting plot, and really fascinating details (in the first book, too) about the inner workings of Room 40, the hub of British intelligence during World War I. I have the third book in this series, A Portrait of Loyalty, on hold at the library, so I'm excited for that one to come in.

The last (and only non-Roseanna White) book I read last month was Chasing Shadows by Lynn Austin.

(From Lynn's website)

A story of three women whose lives are instantly changed when the Nazis invade the neutral Netherlands, forcing each into a complicated dance of choice and consequence.

Lena is a wife and mother who farms alongside her husband in the tranquil countryside. Her faith has always been her compass, but can she remain steadfast when the questions grow increasingly complex and the answers could mean the difference between life and death? 

Lena's daughter Ans has recently moved to the bustling city of Leiden, filled with romantic notions of a new job and young Dutch police officer. But when she is drawn into Resistance work, her idealism collides with the dangerous reality that comes with fighting the enemy.

Miriam is a young Jewish violinist who immigrated for the safety she though Holland would offer. She finds love in her new country, but as her family settles in Leiden, the events that follow will test them in ways she could never have imagined.

The Nazi invasion propels these women onto paths that cross in unexpected, sometimes-heartbreaking ways. Yet the story that unfolds illuminates the surprising endurance of the human spirit and the power of faith and love to carry us through.

After three books set during World War I, it was a nice change of pace to move forward about 25 years. I really liked the characters in this book, and I was very interested in each of their stories; I didn't find myself wishing to get back to a different character than I was reading about in that moment like sometimes happens with multiple viewpoints. Books about war are always tricky, because there's that balance of how much do you show of war's evil. I felt like some of that was slightly missing from this book - the gravitas, perhaps. Which is weird, because it wasn't all rosy. I think she approached the subject seriously and included consequences and danger. And I was clearly compelled, because I finished the book very quickly. I think I subconsciously compare most WWII books to the Zion Covenant series by Bodie and Brock Thoene. I freely admit that those are much too intense for some people, but they do a great job of showing the evil of the Nazi regime without getting too lost in it. So perhaps I was doing some comparisons deep in my brain; I don't know. 

I also spent much of the book comparing the Dutch resistance to Nazi occupation with the Norwegian resistance. Side note: I did a paper on the latter during college, and I remember reading comparisons to the Dutch resistance, which was significantly more overt. Some historians say there was no resistance in Norway. I disagree, but I'm getting off topic. Anyway, I found myself comparing along the way while I read this book. So, I don't know if that rambling made any sense, but I did enjoy this story. 


So those were my reads from October. What have you been reading lately? I'd love to hear about it in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, there! I love comments, and I'm always quick to respond. Got something to say?