Friday, November 18, 2022

Thoughts from Philippians and Colossians

Continuing with my journey through Paul's letters, here are some thoughts from Philippians and Colossians. For more context, watch the Bible Project's overview videos here and here


Phil 1:9-11 "And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ..."

As Christians, we are supposed to be as innocent as doves and as wise as serpents. Thus, our love should not be empty-headed. Instead, as we love God, we should grow in discernment and knowledge of Him, which enables us to love others more fully. I really love this picture of how love should look, too. Especially in close relationships like spouses and families, we should desire for our love to abound in knowledge and insight.

Phil 1:27 "Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ."

Paul was saying specifically that whether he lived or died should not change the Philippians' behavior. Our conduct should not be based on circumstances but rather on Christ.

Phil 2:3-4 "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of others."

Christ does not call us to look out only for ourselves. Instead, He gives us an incredibly countercultural message to let go of ourselves, to lay down our rights, to seek unity with God's people, and to love everyone. This feels easy sometimes, but most times it's very hard. We have to lay down our own pride, our desires, our me-first attitudes. But, if we will submit it all to Jesus, He will give us His heart for others. We just have to be willing. 

Phil 2:14-15 "Do everything without grumbling or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, 'children of God without fault in a warped and crooked generation.' Then you will shine among them like stars in the sky as you hold firmly to the word of life."

Stand firm. Love God, love people. Seek unity. Don't complain or argue. Over and over again, Paul emphasizes these concepts. This is the church I long to be a part of. More importantly, this is the person I long to be. I want to walk in His ways. I want to seek unity, to love others above myself, and to live in joy.

Phil 3:7-8 "But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for Whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage..."

Phil 3:13b-14 "...Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."

Neither past accomplishments nor past failures should have a hold on us. Without Jesus, nothing we do is worth much; in Him, our sins are forgiven. Thus, we can press forward in God's strength.

Phil 4:4 "Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: rejoice!"

Such a simple directive, and yet we lose sight of it so easily. I lose sight of it so very easily. We depend on circumstances to be happy, yet true joy comes from knowing Jesus. So I can rejoice always, because He is always with me.

Phil 4:12-13 "...I have learned the secret of living content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all things through Him Who gives me strength."

I have not yet learned this secret. It is the contentment I desire. I have been very blessed with my husband's job. We have plenty, and I don't feel a strong pull to need more. But I do worry sometimes about having less. It scares me sometimes. Yet I know that God has always provided, in every stage and season of my life. Our God takes care of His people. I have seen it, and I can trust in that.

Col 1:3-5 "We always thank God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, when we pray for you, because we have heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and of the love you have for all God's people - the faith and love that spring from the hope stored up for you in heaven..."

Paul had never met the Colossian church, but he was encouraged by their faith. I want my faith to be evident and an encouragement to others. The Colossians, too, grasped what the Gospel meant, that they now had an eternal hope in heaven. And that hope created in them faith and love.

Col 2:6-10 "So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live your lives in Him, rooted and built up in Him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness. See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the elemental spiritual forces of this world rather than on Christ. For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form, and in Christ you have been brought to fullness. He is the head over every power and authority."

This makes me think of that old song, "Just like a tree planted by the water, I shall not be moved." I want to be like that tree, deeply rooted in Jesus and His Word, growing in Him and strengthened by Him.

And if we are rooted in Christ, then we don't have to get caught up in man-made philosophies and regulations. We have true freedom in Christ. I want to embrace that in action, not just in mind. My study note says, "Take some risks - God will guide you. Give more generously - God will supply. Love more freely - God will energize you. Say 'can do' more often - God will amaze you."

 Col 3:12-14 "Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity."

Col 4:5-6 "Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone."

This is such an important reminder. In general, we should not be brash and combative with either fellow believers or nonbelievers. We certainly should never be unkind or use filthy language. Our conversations should be full of grace and seasoned with salt. What potent imagery that is! Because, on the flip side, we don't want to be mice, tiptoeing around every opportunity to say anything of substance. We don't want our words to be so bland that they have no impact, but we also shouldn't be so salty that people spit us out.


I found each of these books to be dense with great insights and practical application, though each is fairly short. I look forward to reading them again with a new perspective. What have you been studying lately? I'd love to hear about in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, there! I love comments, and I'm always quick to respond. Got something to say?